Brussels and Bacon with Cranberries and Almonds
If you're not so sure about Brussel sprouts, this is the perfect recipe to change your mind! With caramelized Brussels sauteed in bacon grease, sweet cranberries, and crunchy sliced almonds, this dish from Penny Kovacs (@pennysprimal) will be your go-to holiday side dish for any gathering!
- 1 lb Brussel sprouts, cleaned, trimmed and cut in half
8 slices bacon, cut in 1” pieces
- 1 cup cranberries, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup almond slivers
1 Tbsp lemon juice, about 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup Italian dressing, compatible (or 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 tblsp balsamic vinegar, pinch of dried oregano and parsley)
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt and pepper
In a large sauté pan cook bacon till crisp and move to a plate lined with paper towels. Discard all but 3 Tbsp of fat.
Lay Brussels cut side down and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
Cover and simmer on medium heat till Brussels start to brown.
- Toss, cover and simmer 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile whisk dressing, Dijon, lemon juice and water.
Add cranberries, almonds and dressing to pan. Toss and simmer a few minutes.
Add bacon and toss. (Omit to make this plant based)