Red Wine Mustard & Herb Crusted Prime Rib Roast
For those looking for an elevated, non-traditional holiday dish for your family or small group of loved ones, Greensbury's organic grass-fed prime rib roast is the perfect choice. This recipe combines the rich, decadent flavors of your favorite red wine with tangy mustard and fresh herbs to invoke that cozy feeling of the holidays.
Category: Holiday, Main Dish
Prep Time: 40 min
Cook Time: 30 min
- 1 Greensbury Market Organic Grass-Fed Prime Rib Roast
- 1/3 cup dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup Zinfandel or your favorite red wine
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh sage, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme, minced
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Instant-red meat thermometer
- Butcher's twine
- Remove roast from refrigerator 30 min before cooking and sprinkle with salt and pepper on all sides. Let rest at room temperature. If desired, tie roast with butcher's twine to ensure more even cooking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small saucepan, heat red wine and brown sugar over medium heat 15-20 minutes until reduced to 1-2 tablespoons and thickened. Remove from heat and let cool.
- While wine is reducing, prepare garlic and herbs by hand or in a food processor until minced and combined.
- Heat avocado oil over high heat in over-safe skillet until very hot. Sear roast for 1-2 minutes on all sides until browned. Remove from pan.
- When wine is cooled, mix 1 tablespoon reduction with mustard until fully combined and the mustard is a beautiful lavender color. Add more wine to taste, as desired.
- Generously coat roast with prepared mustard. Top mustard on all sides with garlic-herb mixture.
- Return roast to pan and place in preheated oven until internal temperature reaches 130 degrees for medium rare. Remove from oven and season top of roast with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Slice and serve with your favorite holiday sides!