Instant Pot "Rotisserie" Chicken
Cook our whole chicken in your Instant Pot for a delicious meal.
Tracy Posillico, founder of whitsway.org, says this simple instant pot recipe is "by far the most useful and versatile meal I cook in my home." What more can we say? Let's get cooking!
Active Prep time: 5-10 minutes
Cook time: 45-50 minutes (75-90 minutes if oven only)
Total: 50-60 minutes
Serves: 4-6 people (+ leftovers!)
- 1 whole organic chicken (rinsed and giblets removed);
- 1/2 onion (quartered);
- 2 garlic cloves (minced);
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil;
- 1 cup chicken broth;
- 2-3 medium carrots (cut into small, but thick, chunks);
- 2 celery ribs (cut into sticks);
- 1 teaspoon sea salt;
- 3 Tablespoons fresh parsley;
- 2 bay leaves;
- Sauté the garlic and onion in olive oil for 5-7 minutes on the "Sauté" setting on the Instant Pot. You want them golden brown for added flavor;
- Add in the whole chicken. Sauté for 5-7 minutes on each side until slightly brown. Add more oil as needed and keep rotating so it does not stick;
- Once chicken is browned on all sides, make sure it is breast-side down in the Instant Pot;
- Turn off the "Sauté" setting and add in remaining ingredients;
- Lock the lid and set the valve to "Sealing";
- Select "Poultry" and increase pressure to high. Cook for 20 minutes;
- Open valve for "Quick Release." Be careful with the steam - it comes out fast!
- Open the lid and turn the chicken over and cook following steps 5 and 6, but this time, only cook for 15 minutes;
- Again, open valve for "Quick Release." Watch our for that steam!
- Carefully remove chicken--it will be so tender it may fall apart! Save the leftover ingredients in the Instant Pot, we're going to use those later;
- Place the whole chicken in a baking dish and put in the oven on broil for a few minutes just to let it get some color and get a little crispy;
- When brown and crispy to your liking, take out of the oven and garnish with those leftover ingredients from the Instant Pot;
- Use all organic ingredients if possible;
- If you don't have an Instant Pot (yet) you can make this in the oven. Simply place the whole chicken and all the other ingredients in a baking dish and bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees for an hour. Then uncover and cook for another 15-30 minutes;