Herb Chicken With Onions And Potatoes by Delicious Martha
Infuse delicious flavors like bacon, onion, parsley, and thyme into Greensbury's organic, free-range whole chicken, delivered straight to your doorsteps.
Delicious Martha is a lover of gastronomy, photography, music and pastries! She's passionate about the culinary arts and invests her free time in searching out new recipes and discovering new challenges to encourage you to learn and improve every day. This easy to make recipe is based on a classic French dish, Poulet Bonne Femme en Cocotte. Enjoy!
- 1 chicken, 3 lbs.
- 15-20 small onions, peeled
- 1 lb. small potatoes, washed and peeled
- 1/2 lb. bacon, cut into thin strips
- Parsley leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- In a Dutch oven, melt two tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat
- Remove the bacon rind and cut into strips about 1/2 inch thick. Fry in the butter for 2-3 minutes. Remove and reserve the bacon on a plate.
- Place the chicken into the Dutch oven, cleaned and legs tied, and cook breast-side down for a few minutes until browned. Flip and do the same to the other side. When browned, remove and set aside.
- Put a pot of salted water on high heat. When it comes to a boil, place the onions into the pot, reduce heat and cook 5-7 minutes or until they become tender. Drain and set aside.
- Place the potatoes into a pot of cold salted water and heat over high heat. After the water comes to a boil, drain the potatoes and set aside.
- In the Dutch oven, melt 3 tablespoons butter over high heat and pour the drained potatoes.
- Brown the potatoes for 2-3 minutes, stirring them so they don't stick and to cook out the liquid. Remove the potatoes and set aside. Save the melted butter in a small bowl.
- Salt the chicken to taste and place in the Dutch oven breast-side up. Add the potatoes, onions and bacon. Drizzle with the reserved butter and add the parsley, thyme and bay leaf.
- Cover the chicken with foil and cook on high heat for 5 minutes. Preheat the oven to 325°F while the chicken is cooking.
- Roast the chicken, potatoes and onions in the oven for 1 hour 20 minutes or until the chicken is tender and its internal temperature is 165°F.
- Increase oven temperature to 425° F, remove the foil and lightly brown the chicken skin for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and serve.