Gnocchi Beef Stew
Beef stew is one of life's great comfort foods and we love this recipe from Jess Schnitzer at Shut The Fig Up. We used Greensbury's Organic, Grass-Fed Beef Cubes for this recipe.
Beef stew is one of life's great comfort foods and we love this recipe from Jess Schnitzer at Shut The Fig Up. If you don't know Jess she is a wife, certified personal trainer, and self admitted nutrition "junkie." Her passion is maintaining a healthy, dairy and gluten free lifestyle and sharing her journey with others.
This beef stew recipe features cauliflower gnocchi and is made in an instant pot-if you don't have an instant pot, don't worry, we've got alternate instructions at the bottom for cooking in the traditional slow cooker.
If you like this recipe, but sure to check out Jess' other recipes on her blog and also follow her on Instagram.
- 1 lb organic 100% grass-fed beef cubes;
- 32 oz beef stock or veggie stock;
- 1 15oz can tomato sauce (no sugar added);
- 1 cup cauliflower gnocchi;
- 1 Japanese sweet potato (chopped0;
- 1 sweet onion (diced);
- 1 cup baby carrots;
- 2 zucchini (chopped);
- 1 cup frozen peas;
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce;
- 1 tbsp minced garlic;
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning;
- 1 bay leaf;
- 1 tbsp tapioca starch + 3 tbsp water;
- 1/2 tsp pink salt;
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Press the sauté bottom on your instant pot and add in 1 tbsp of oil;
- While oil is heating, season beef with 1/4 tsp of salt + 1/4 tsp of pepper. Add the beef into the instant pot and brown on all sides and then remove from the instant pot and set aside;
- Add to the instant pot the diced onion and sauté for 3-5 minutes;
- Stir in minced garlic and sauté for another 30 seconds;
- Add back in the browned beef cubes along with the Italian seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, baby carrots, sweet potato, stock, tomato sauce, bay leaf + remainder of the salt n pepper;
- Place lid on instant pot and switch valve to “sealing.” Place on manual for 30 minutes;
- Once time is up, release steam and remove lid. Switch to sauté and add in the zucchini, peas, and cauliflower gnocchi. Let cook for 3 minutes;
- Now stir in the tapioca starch slurry for a minute or until slightly thickened;
- Turn off sauté and serve!
Slow Cooker Variation: Brown beef and sauté onions in a saucepan then transfer to crockpot. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours and follow the rest of instructions.
Serving: Ladle into a bowl and enjoy!
Recipe development: Jess Schnitzer @shutthefigup