Flank Steak Sandwiches with Goat Cheese and Avocado
Greensbury's organic, grass-fed flank steak with goat cheese is delicious and healthy. Order healthy, sustainable proteins from Greensbury Market & have it delivered to your door.
Thank you Chef Thomas Kaylor for this delicious, simple recipe for flank steak sandwiches. Featuring Le Bon Magot Tomato and White Sultana Chutney. Serves 3.
- 1 pound Organic Grass-Fed Flank Steak (or Organic Grass-Fed Skirt Steak);
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6oz soft goat cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 3 tablespoons basil, finely chopped
- 1/2 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 12 sprigs watercress
- 1 avocado, pitted and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons Le Bon Magot Tomato and White Sultana Chutney
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 baguette or bread of choice
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- Allow steaks to come to room temperature and place on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Allow goat cheese to come to room temperature in a bowl to soften it.
- Finely chop basil and add it to the softened goat cheese.
- Add the chili flakes and the Tomato and White Sultana Chutney to the goat cheese mix.
- Heat canola oil in a 12-inch saute pan on high heat. Dry flank steaks with a paper towel and season liberally with salt and pepper on both sides. Once the oil is smoking add the steaks and sear for two minutes a side. Remove the steaks from the pan and place on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess oil. Allow the steaks to cool for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Slice the baguette into three even pieces and cut each piece in half. Spread goat cheese mixture onto each piece of bread.
- Peel the red onion and thinly slice into rings; place the onion slices into a small mixing bowl.
- Rinse watercress, remove thicker stems, and add to red onions. Drizzle olive oil and red wine vinegar onto the mixture.
- Cut the avocado in half; thinly slice the avocado and arrange onto the baguette. Sprinkle with Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste.
- Cut steak against the grain, slicing as thinly as possible. Arrange on the bottom side of the baguette.
- Place the dressed up watercress and red onion rings on top of the steak. Place the baguette tops onto the watercress and onion and serve.