20 Minute Protein-Packed Chicken Chow Mein Recipe
This quick-fix dinner is as tasty as it is simple to make.
There are some days when you can enjoy the luxury of having a couple of spare hours to make dinner, and then there are days when it feels like you have no time at all. It’s tempting to opt for a takeaway or beans on toast when you’re as time-starved as you are starving, but if you keep the ingredients for this chicken chow mein recipe from HelloFresh to hand you’ll always have a the option of making a proper meal in double-quick time.
The recipe takes a mere 20 minutes to make, involves little washing-up and counts as two of your five-a-day. It’s also loaded with protein – a chunky 49g per serving – so it makes for an ideal post-workout dinner.
RECOMMENDED: 3 Mouth-Watering High-Protein Meal Recipes
Ingredients (makes two servings)
1 red pepper, sliced 3 spring onions, sliced 2 nests egg noodles 280g chicken, diced 1 pack mange tout 1½tbsp soy sauce 45g chow mein paste
- Add the noodles to a saucepan, cover with boiling water and place on medium-high heat.
- Simmer for four minutes, then drain in a colander, drizzle with oil and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a splash of oil in a large frying pan on a high heat.
- Add the chicken and stir-fry for four minutes until golden.
- Then add the pepper, mange tout and half the spring onion. Stir-fry for five minutes, until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle.
- Stir in the soy sauce and 2tbsp water. Lower the heat to medium, stir in the chow mein paste (you can get this ready-made or make your own if you have a bit more time), and stir-fry for one minute to dissolve.
- Then add the noodles to the pan and stir through until piping hot.
- Serve the chicken chow mein in bowls sprinkled with the remaining spring onion.
Written by Nick Harris-Fry for Coach and legally licensed through the Matcha publisher network. Please direct all licensing questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.