Honey Garlic Glazed Chicken Legs with “Leftover” Fried Rice
Your kids will go crazy over the intense flavors of honey and garlic.
For the Garlic Glazed Chicken Legs:
- 3 (5 oz.)Chicken Drumsticks
- ½ Cup Soy Sauce
- ¼ Cup Rice Wine Vinegar
- 3 tbsp. Brown Sugar
- ½ Cup Water
- 4 tbsp. Garlic (Finely Chopped)
- ½ Cup Honey
- 3 tbsp. Scallions (Chopped)
- Salt and Cracked Black Pepper (to taste)
For the “Leftover” Fried Rice:
- 1 tbsp. Sesame Oil
- 1 tbsp. Garlic (Finely Chopped)
- 1 tbsp. Ginger (Finely Chopped)
- 1/3 Cup Soy Sauce
- 1/3 Cup Mirin
- 2 Cups White Rice (Cooked and Cold)
- 2 Eggs (Scrambled and Chopped)li>
- 2 tbsp. Cilantro (Chopped)li>
- ½ Cup Edamame (Shelled)li>
- Salt and Cracked Black Pepper (to taste)li>
1. Season the drumsticks with salt and pepper and sear in a medium sized skillet over medium heat on all sides for 1 minute on each side. Add the garlic and cook until slightly browned. Next, add the water, soy sauce, vinegar, and brown sugar and cook on each side for 5 minutes over medium to low heat.
2. To cook the rice, heat the sesame oil over medium heat and sauté garlic and ginger until softened. Deglaze the pan with the soy sauce and mirin. Add remaining ingredients to the pan and mix thoroughly. Transfer the rice to a heat safe cooking dish and place in a warm oven for 10 minutes until warmed through.
3. Once the chicken is cooked to 165 degrees, you should have a small amount of liquid remaining. Add the honey and scallions to the pan and baste the drumsticks with the honey mixture and allow to rest. Serve alongside the fried rice.
Tip: If you have a lid for your skillet, try to cover the chicken during the cooking process to reduce the cooking time and minimize your cleanup. If you are using a lid, add the honey and scallions to the pan earlier, this can be done after the first side of the chicken legs are cooked in the liquid.
Total prep/cooking time: 25 minutes
- Seasoned Green Beans
- Steamed Broccoli