Corn Dusted Icelandic Cod with Brown Butter and Crab Salad
This recipe features the incredibly soft texture of the cod and golden crust from the polenta in an unbeatable combination and is a great way to show off and highlight seasonal, summer ingredients.
For the Cod:
- 2 (6 oz.) pieces Wild Icelandic Cod
- ¼ Cup Instant Polenta or Very Fine Ground Cornmeal
- 2 tbsp. Blended Oil
- 4 Sprigs Fresh Thyme (kept whole)
- 4 tbsp. Unsalted Butter (cubed)
- Salt and Cracked Black Pepper (to taste)
For the Crab Salad:
- ¼ Cup Lump or Jumbo Lump Crabmeat
- ¼ Cup Grape Tomatoes (halved)
- ¼ Cup Fresh Corn (pre-cooked and cut off the cob)
- 2 tbsp. Fresh Italian Parsley (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp. Shallot (finely minced)
- 1 Lemon (zested and juiced)
- 3 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
1. Combine all components for the crab salad and dress with fresh lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil, season and reserve for the finished cod.
2. Season the cod with the salt and pepper and dust the top (skin side down) with the a thin, even layer of polenta. Heat the blended oil in a medium-sized sauté pan over medium heat and sear the cod for 3-4 minutes. Carefully flip the cod over and cook over medium- low heat until it reaches and internal temperature of 145 degrees. Because the polenta it pre-cooked, cooking the fish will leave the finished product with a beautiful golden crust.
3. To finish the fish, create the brown butter by heating a new pan over medium heat and add the butter and allow to melt completely and then begin browning. Once the milk solids become brown, turn off the heat and add the fresh thyme. Before serving, place your fish on the plate and baste the butter over the fish. Serve the fish with the salad and ladle some brown butter over top to finish, discarding the fresh thyme. Served with the salad next to or on top of the fish.
Tip: Don’t use the same pan that you cooked the fish in for the brown butter, as some remnants could burn while browning the butter and could make the dish bitter.
Total prep/cooking time: 15 minutes
- Buttered Green Beans (Seasoned)
- Mashed Potatoes