Chicken Drumstick Confit with Raspberry and Bacon Jam
For the Chicken Drumstick Confit:
- 4 5oz. Farmer Focus SVO Chicken Drumsticks
- 1 Cup Chicken Fat or Duck Fat
- 4 Garlic Cloves (Slightly Crushed Whole)
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Thyme (Kept Whole)
- 2 Bay Leaves (Kept whole, try to use fresh if available)
- Salt and Cracked Black Pepper (to taste)
For the Raspberry and Bacon Jam:
- 6 pieces Bacon (kept raw and medium diced)
- 2 tbsp. Shallots (finely diced)
- ½ c. Chardonnay
- ¼ c. Fresh Raspberries (roughly chopped)
- 1 tsp. Fresh Thyme (finely chopped)
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Season the drumsticks and then sear them in a saucepan over medium-high heat to extract all of the natural fat from the skin. Add the chicken or duck fat to the pan along with the garlic, thyme, and bay leaves. Cover with foil and to cook for 20 minutes in the oven. During the cooking, turn the drumsticks over every five minutes.
2. Cook the bacon over medium heat until it is completely rendered. Drain half of the fat from the pan and add the shallots and cook until translucent. Deglaze the pan with the chardonnay and add the raspberries. Continue to cook for 5 minutes on low heat until it becomes thickened from the natural pectin in the fruit. Season the jam with the thyme, salt, and pepper, and reserve for the chicken.
Tip: If you don’t have access to the chicken or duck fat, you can use extra virgin olive oil. Additionally, if time allows, you can cook the chicken for double the time at 300. The longer the chicken cooks in the fat, the more tender it will become.
Total prep/cooking time: 30 minutes
- Oven Roasted Broccoli
- Cauliflower Au Gratin